The kids at Locust Grove Nature Center are watching Woody Woodpecker this morning, and so can you:
Woody's supposed to be a piliated woodpecker. But the cartoonists take quite a bit of artistic license. What do they get right, and where do they go horribly wrong? Watch a little and see what you think.
Other things that have caught our eye lately:
- Geminid Meteor Shower to peak this weekend.
- Rain gardens make a local Habitat for Humanity building site greener.
- Join Sierra's trails forum to enter this month's photo contest -- or just check out the COLD photos.
- In Forest Kindergarten, kids spend three hours each day outside regardless of the weather.
- Birds can throw their voices in the direction of a predator.
- Ever Seen a Black Hiker Before? Great video from Funny or Die, via Outdoor Afro.
- A wonderful collection of tree writing (including a piece from the Natural Capital) at Festival of the Trees.
- Nice little video from local author Mary Amato on how mushrooms are like the writing process.